So, my succulents have really been getting too big for their pots. For about a month now I was looking for a pot to put them in to save them from wilting or simply falling out of their containers. I went to Michael’s and got so inspired by the spooky Halloween and festive Autumn decor. I decided to get some terra-cotta pots and paint them up as new homes for my little plants.
Here’s what I bought:
- 3 terra-cotta pots and plates underneath (you need pots that have a hole for drainage)
- White acrylic paint
- Metallic gold acrylic paint
- Cactus soil
(I used my own paintbrushes)
Here’s what I did:
- Paint the pots and plates white (it took about 3 coats with completely drying in between)
- Drawing the designs I wanted in gold (For the drips I looked up Halloween blood pictures and copied the way they fell. For the stripe, I tried to draw a straight line all the way around the pot. The last one I painted little dots, stars, and moons randomly around the pot)
- Let the gold dry completely and do 3 good coats of the metallic gold
- Once everything is dried, fill the bottom of the pots with some rocks for drainage
- Put a little bit of cactus soil at the bottom of the pot
- Take the succulents out of their holders and squeeze the soil and roots to loosen the dirt a little bit
- Fit them inside the pot and move them around until they sit correctly
- Fill in the rest of the pot with cactus soil and pat down the top
- Water when the soil gets dry!
It was really as easy as that!
Talk to you soon,